I mentioned this to one of my older friends.
She responded by sending me the 8-step exercise program she has been working on since she turned 50 a couple months ago...
- Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.
- With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides.
- Hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.
- Each day hold this position for just a bit longer.
- After two weeks, use 10-lb potato bags.
- After two more weeks try 50-lb potato bags.
- By 6 weeks you should be able to lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)
- After you feel confident at this level, put a potato in each bag.